The Add Logs Directory wizard enables users to add to XpoLog multiple logs that are located in a local or remote directory. The user can scan their local or remote directory for the log directory from which they want to capture logs into XpoLog. The added Logs Directory appears under Folders and Logs in the left panel.
Note: The Add Logs Directory feature described here enables adding a single logs directory to XpoLog. It is also possible to add multiple logs directories and automate a single or multiple logs directory, by adding an Add Logs Directory task (see Adding an Add Logs Directory Task).
Adding a logs directory to XpoLog is performed in the following stages:
- Selecting the directory location type, and defining connectivity settings accordingly.
- Selecting the folders and logs in the logs directory to add to XpoLog.
- Optional - setting advanced settings.
- Pressing Scan Directory and choosing the relevant sub directories and logs to add.
- Specifying the location of the added logs directory in XpoLog.
- Specifying the collection policy used for the newly added logs.
- Tagging the newly added log directory to application(s) (optional).
As logs are written in free format, XpoLog uses its built-in mechanism to guess the structure of the log, also called a pattern. For example, Xpolog guesses which is the date field, the time field, and more, parses the data, and then adds the log records as bulk. Users can normalize or tune the results of parsing. For example, if the results of parsing data is a log with columns Date, Text2, and Text3, the user can open the log under Folders and Logs, and click the log to open it and tune the parsing results. For example, Text2 column heading can be changed to Host, and Text3 column heading to Server Name. Next time you add a log of a similar type to the one that you edited, it uses the last structure that you applied to the new log.
To add a logs directory to XpoLog:
- Open the XpoLog tab, click Add Data
Open the XpoLog tab, and in the XpoLog Manager > Left Navigation Panel > Data select Add Data
In the XpoLog Manager > Left Navigation Panel > Data > Manager select a folder and click Add Log
In the XpoLog Manager > Left Navigation Panel > Folders And Logs, click Add Log
In the XpoLog homepage, in the right pane under Get Data, click Add Log
In the XpoLog homepage, in the right pane under Get Data, click Remote Servers
- Select Data Source.
- Set the connectivity details to the logs directory (see Defining Connectivity Settings).
- Set the log path to the directory.
- Optional - Configuring Advanced Settings
- Press Scan Directory.
A Progress box displays the status of the system as it scans the directory for logs, a process that can take several minutes. When the scan completes, the Add Logs Directory Wizard presents the General and Folders and Logs sections.
- Define the general settings of the logs directory in XpoLog (see Setting Logs Directory General Information).
- Select the folders and logs of the logs directory to add to XpoLog (see Selecting Logs Directory to Add to XpoLog).
- Click the Save button.
The selected folders and logs are created and placed in XpoLog. By default, they are indexed and Analytics is performed on them.
The Log Viewer opens with the following message: Select a log from the Folders and Logs panel on the left or Create a New Log.