Note: LogAway Agent (compatible with XpoLog V4.3+)
XpoLog’s agent-less architecture allows accessing logs located on remote machines over SSH, without the need to change or install anything on the remote machine. In order to do this, XpoLog utilizes the ‘less’ command on the remote machine, among other commands. In some environments, where the ‘less’ command is not available on the remote machine, XpoLog cannot work as described above.
XpoLog’s LogAway agent provides a solution for accessing logs located on remote machines over SSH where the ‘less’ command is not available. It is important to note that the agent is passive, and does not run any process on the remote machine unless requested to do so by the XpoLog server.
XpoLog’s LogAway agent is a JAR file located in the home directory of the user that is used by XpoLog to access the remote machine. After the JAR file is deployed on the remote machine, it does not run any process. Instead, the XpoLog server automatically identifies that the LogAway agent is available on the remote machine, and uses it instead of utilizing traditional system commands.
All the data which is transferred by the LogAway agent to the XpoLog server is compressed, to minimize network traffic.
- Verify that Java is installed on the remote machine:
- Log in to the remote machine using the same user that is used by XpoLog to access the remote machine.
- Run the command java -version (the LogAway agent requires Java version 1.3+ to run)
- Download XpoLog’s LogAway package compatible to the Java version installed on the remote machine:
- Copy XpoLog’s LogAway package to the remote machine (place it in the home directory of the user that is used by XpoLog to access the remote machine)
- Unpack XpoLog’s LogAway package by running the following commands:
- gunzip xpologAgent.tar.gz
- tar xvf xpologAgent.tar
- Verify that a folder named xpologAgent was created and contains several files
- Verify that XpoLog’s LogAway agent can be executed:
- Enter the xpologAgent folder
- Run the command sh runAgent.sh –v
- Verify that information regarding the agent is printed to the screen
- In order to verify that the agent can be used by the XpoLog server, add a log over SSH on this machine using direct access mode and check that everything works as expected.
Open XpoLog Support Portal > Activity Information and under SSH connections tab verify that the connection mode is Agent (instead of the default: Less).